Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Cranberry Orange Breakfast Cake for a Snowy Day


Last night a winter storm warning was issued - that sometimes that means an 1 inch of snow or sometimes 6-10 inches.  This is what I woke up to... 




Baking is my favorite start to a day like today.  There is nothing like something warm and yummy out of the oven while the storm goes on outside!

I am making Cranberry Orange Breakfast Cake ( Gluten Free)

I adapted it from Alexandra Cooks original recipe www.alexandracooks.com



I am using Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour with all the rest of the regular ingredients.


Cream the room temperature butter and sugar with the zest until light and fluffy.
(I used the zest from 3 clementines & I use vanilla sugar for baking- you just add vanilla pods that you have scraped into a jar of sugar)


Add the egg and vanilla  you have a smooth orange scented start....

Toss the cranberries with 2 Tblsp of the flour

Mix the rest of dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and then add to the batter alternating with buttermilk. 

Then fold in the cranberries....  The batter will be more like muffin batter than cake batter.


Spread in to a greased pan and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar 
( the recipe calls for a 9 inch square pan- but use what you have)


The recipe calls for 35-45 minutes at 350.  My was done in exactly 35.



It smells divine- orange and cranberry Yum!!



The tart cranberries with the tender orange cake - delightful!!
Try it you won't be disappointed!


Cranberry Orange Breakfast Cake Gluten Free
Adapted from Alexandra Cooks (www.alexandracooks.com)

1 Cup + 1TBSLP Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter ( I stick) room temperature
zest from 1 orange.  ( I used 3 clementines)
1 Egg room temperature
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Cups -Cup 4 Cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 C buttermilk
2 Cups of Cranberries

Bake at 350 for 35- 45 minutes

Here's to snowy days!

CC





No comments:

Post a Comment