Friday, December 14, 2012

One of my cooking challenges is that I am gluten intolerant.  I have known for 5 years - so my cooking and recipes have had to change if I was going to enjoy them.  Working with alternate flours in baking has required some real creative kitchen work.  I am grateful for all the wonderful cookbooks out there that have inspired me to make my favorites gluten free. I promise to share my favorites with you as I continue post.

Scones......I used to make them regularly in my gluten eating days but I have struggled with the texture in gluten free world.  I was excited to try this recipe from one of my favorite cooking blogs- Alexandra Cooks.  I adapted her recipe slightly which I noted, and I used Cup4Cup gluten free all purpose flour- my new obsession.  It is available at Williams Sonoma, and some speciality stores.  Check out their website  www.cup4cup.com.

I always want my gluten free recipes to be tasty for everyone, and I want no one who eats in my home to realize they are eating gluten free.  My darling husband( a gluten eater) assured me this one was successful!

Enjoy!









Blueberry Buttermilk Scones
adapted from Alexandra Cooks - check out her site:
www.alexandracooks.com  ( her recipes and blog are a delicious inspiration!!!)

2 C + 6 TBLSP Cup4 Cup Flour
1 & 1/2 TSP Baking Powder
Scant 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
2 TBLSP Cake Enhancer ( my addition to original recipe)*
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 tsp salt ( heaping)
1/2 tsp Lemon zest ( I used a whole lemon)
1 stick + 1 1/2 tsp very cold butter  cut in pieces
3/4 Cup Buttermilk  ( I added approximately another 1/4 cup)
1 Cup Fresh  Blueberries

1 & 1/2 tsp melted butter
Coarse or granulated sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 400

Mix dry ingredients in Cuisnart with blade.  Cut in butter until it is well incorporated - no large chucks.

Transfer to a large bowl.  Add blueberries, then add buttermilk and mix with large spoon until dough forms.  I had to use my hands a little to really get the dough to come together.  You don't want it too wet- but you also don't want it to be crumbly...  This is where I added extra buttermilk.

Transfer the dough to a floured board.  ( I used glutinous rice four for dusting)  press the dough into a circle about 3/4 to 1 inch thick.  Cut into 6 wedges and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.

Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown

* Cake Enhancer is available from King Arthur Flour

No comments:

Post a Comment